Your Total Income After Tax
|Salary Before Tax|
|Salary After Tax||Please enter salary|
Simply enter your annual or monthly income into the salary calculator above to find out how taxes in Japan affect your income. You'll then get a breakdown of your total tax liability and take-home pay.
- Salary Before Tax
- your total earnings before any taxes have been deducted. Also known as Gross Income.
- Salary After Tax
- the money you take home after all taxes and contributions have been deducted. Also known as Net Income.
Your Income Tax Breakdown
|Total Tax Due||Please enter salary|
- Total Tax Due
- the sum of all taxes and contributions that will be deducted from your gross salary.
The deductions used in the calculator assume you are not married and have no dependants. You may pay less if tax credits or other deductions apply.
Taxation in Japan
- Income Tax
- is a progressive tax, meaning that individuals with higher wages will be taxed more than individuals with lower wages. The standard personal deduction is currently 380 000 JPY which will be deducted from the total amount of taxes.
- Residence Tax
- payed only by the people that lived in Japan on the first of January of that year. This tax is applied on the yearly salary minus the employment income deduction and any other deductions.
- Social Insurance
- is a tax applied on the gross income and it is comprised of pension, health, unemployment and accident compensation. The social insurance is deducted at source from the gross salary by the employer on a monthly basis.
- Health Insurance
- is mandatory for all residents of Japan. The tax is applied on the gross income and is deducted at source from the gross salary by the employer on a monthly basis.
The information presented here is based on the fiscal regulations in Japan in 2019. Visit japan-guide.com for more details.
Financial Facts About Japan
The average monthly net salary in Japan (JP) is around 430,000 YEN, with a minimum income of around 130,000 YEN per month. This places Japan on the 2nd place in the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, after United States, but before Germany.
Japan has the second most advanced economy in the world, it is the third-largest country by nominal GDP and the fourth-largest by purchasing power parity. The country has a market-oriented and highly developed economy with a focus on the manufacture of precision and high-tech items such as hybrid vehicles, robotics, and optical instruments.
According to the Human Development Index, Japan has a very high standard of living and has the world's 19th highest quality of life. It is a top-performing country in terms of the quality of its educational system and it ranks above the OECD average in income, personal security, and environmental quality.